Sunday, March 12, 2017

week 6

Kellendock et al
I found this study to be interesting in how it looks at the role D2 receptors play in cognitive functioning, specifically those that affect people with schizophrenia. This is especially important I think because there seems like it states in the paper many treatments that target these specific symptoms. I wish that they maybe went a little further into their behavioral tests and tell us more specifically why those tests are related to the symptomatology of schizophrenia. I also think that this paper gives us insight into the development of schizophrenia and that it's not really do to just one instance of abnormality but to a string maybe having a more genetic element than other psychological disorders that might have a more environmental trigger. I also wish that they had gone more into why the manipulations they made in the mice were reflective of the neurological presentation of schizophrenia besides just the dopamine receptor manipulations.   

Moore et al
This study I liked because they were able to give insight in how to possibly going about modeling schizophrenia in an animal model. I think that this should be looked at more closely and compared to human brains in trying to get it better for future studies into schizophrenia. Also would like to read replication studies. I would have liked for the study above to use a model like this and measure the d2 receptors and block them and see what would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment