Sunday, February 26, 2017

Week 5

Herry et al

I liked reading this study, found it interesting in how it is able to identify two neuron types in encoding fear and extinction. Also interesting to know how these neuron types relationship to other parts of the brain like the hippocampus and mPFC. I wonder though if they could have used more of a variety of fear conditioned stimulus like say an appearance of new object when shocked, it might be redundant but at least you could have more evidence to say it was fear encoding in general not just auditory fear encoding. Overall though again might not be necessary. I would also like to see the specific neurons ablated individually, to see the behavioral results, but since they overlap pretty close to each other it might be to difficult to do right now.

Courtien et al
This paper  I think might be written slightly better than the other paper. Because it focused on a lot of different neuro variables to try and explain extinction and fear learning, whereas the other paper I feel didn't do that as much. I also like that they were able to isolate specific neurons and test it behavioral outcomes which i think is important. If i were to say one thing that i might add is the same thing that I suggested under Herry et al which is to use another CS. I agree with the author that the results of this paper could have important application to disorders that might have a fear component to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment